Sunday, October 21, 2007

The Never-ending Laundry

During our pre marital counseling sessions, I thought I had learned all about being a good wife -- how to love, respect, honor your husband. I am not perfect at doing all of these but I was ready for them. I felt I had some understanding of what it meant to be a wife. What I was not prepared for was housework! Why wasn't there a chapter about how to get all your housework done? Some of us need a step-by-step guide! By now I am getting better with the cooking and cleaning but getting all the laundry done is such a challenge for me. I mean it's like a 20 step process: sorting clothes, washing, folding, etc. I can usually get the clothes washed and dried but then my system just falls apart. I never get a chance to get everything folded and put away and there’s always the forgotten load left in the dryer. By the time I get around to folding, it’s already time to start another load of laundry! I can’t even imagine the amount of laundry that comes with children. When we have kids, I am going to quit washing and just buy new clothes whenever we run out ☺.

Craig and I also have different views on laundry. My super clean husband wants to start the laundry as soon as the hamper is full. I like to do laundry when I run out of clothes. There are many times when Craig mentions that we should start laundry and I’m like, “What?!? I have at least another week of clothes left!” Never mind that the hamper is piled high and spilling over onto the floor. Craig is also very good about folding and putting his clothes away because apparently if clothes sit out, they get wrinkled. As for me, I figure why put them away if you are just going to wear them again.

So to all the wives out there – is there a secret to this laundry thing? Does the nasty cycle ever end? Or am I going to have to find a really good laundry service?

7 comments:

emily said...

I hear you :-) Move to Argentina, they have a cheap and good laundry service! However, I am not using it anymore....I do one load a day and take the weekends off. It works for me, but every family is different!

Melanie said...

Good luck...Tyron has resorted to doing most of the laundry. He is a lot like Craig it sounds like...once it's started every piece of laundry is sorted, washed, dried, and put away. I try to do a couple of loads a day. Maybe we should invent environmentally friendly disposable clothes...then we'd be rich and could afford the laundry service whether we used our newly developed green disposable clothes or not!!!

KimBeau Hughes said...

i know!!! i keep telling beau to get on the ball with dinner plans with you guys, so maybe if you tell craig too, they can make it happen? haha. or i guess we could. try emailing me...
kimberlybhughes@gmail.com

thanks girl!

The Rozell Family said...

Hey Northcutts! We ran across ya'lls blog tonight. Thought we would say hey! We love this blogging world! So fun to see and read what everyone is doing/learning/experiencing! Ya'll have a great week.
The Rozells
www.rozells.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hey sweetheart, this is Dad. You know what's worked for your mom and I. She sorts, washes and dries. I fold everything (while I watch a football game) and put everything away. This way she can wash the way she wants (very picky) and I can fold the way I want (also very picky).

Marcy said...

Angela! Found you on KimBeau's site! How are you, chica?!

Nat Pat said...

girl, if you figure it out please let me know...it's really bad if you have to re-wash a load cause you left it in the washer so long...not that i know from personal experience...;)