Monday, December 31, 2007

Happy New Year!

New Year's Eve will always be a special night for Craig and me. Three years ago tonight, Craig asked me to be his wife. It's a night that I'll never forget and a story that I love to tell. I wish I had pictures of the occasion but I think everyone was too excited to get a camera. The whole event is captured on film but I'm not technology-savvy enough to figure out how to get it on the blog. Plus, I had just donated my hair to locks-of-love and my chubby checks with short hair did not equal a good combination. Anyway, Thanksgiving 2004, Craig and I were at the mall when he asked me if I wanted to look at rings. Trying not to be too presumptuous, I asked, "Rings? What kind of rings?" To my excitement, Craig replied, "engagement rings." Now, Craig and I already been dating for about 3 1/2 years by then and of course the topic of marriage had come up but we were both still in school and dating long distance so I was definitely surprised when he wanted to look at rings, but there was no way I was going to question it! After looking at rings and telling him which ones I liked, I didn't want to push the issue. But I couldn't help getting excited inside -- I mean this had to be it! I remember telling my sister that I just knew Craig would ask me at Christmas. I mean, what guy wants to spend money on an engagement ring and a separate Christmas present? Now, I am by no means a patient person. I was the kid that went searching for Christmas gift early and I spoil surprises because I always try to figure things out. So every time Craig and I talked, I tried to pick up on any clues to when he would ask. One time Craig mentioned he was going out to eat with my dad and I just knew they were going to have "the talk." This may have seemed like a pretty good clue, but Craig and my dad hang out all the time so it was really nothing out of the ordinary. Nevertheless, I was sure it had to mean something. I pictured all these scenerios in my head of how he would ask me. I even practiced acting surprised and saying "yes" in the mirror. Well Christmas came and went, without a proposal. I was so disappointed but I couldn't let Craig know what I had been hoping for. On New Year's Eve, Craig's parents had their usual party at their house and both of our families were there. We started playing Pictionary and Craig went up to draw. He picked up a card and said, "Angela, you should be able to get this one." He started drawing a ring with a diamond and two stick figures. I guessed every engagement-proposal-diamond related word I could think of, never picking up on the hint. My competitive nature was too concerned about winning the game than a marriage proposal. He laughed and said, "I don't think you are going to get it" and then pulled out a ring. I was completed shocked. After weeks of anticipating this moment, he had caught me completely off guard. I was so surprised that I don't even remember every thing he said, just that he asked and I said "YES!"

5 comments:

Jessica and Bill Ramsour said...

Hehe...I could never get tired of hearing that story! It is so great! :)

Anonymous said...

David proposed to me on NYE too! I was just like you and thought for SURE it would be Christmas...( and I was actually kinda mad that it wasn't). But he totally, totally surprised me and its one of the most cherished moments of my life. :)

Hope all is going well!!

The Baublets said...

that is so sweet! that was smart of him to do that and not lose the element of surprise.

hope all is well. see you at home group!

Anonymous said...

Got your blog from a friends blog, and I am so glad I did. What a sweet story, thanks for sharing with the blogging world.

Anonymous said...

I'll always remember the evening, too, Angela. Let me remind you of some additional details you may have missed in the euphoria of the evening. After your endless number of incorrect guesses (we couldn't believe you weren't getting it), Craig kneeled down, pulled out the ring, and said, "Angela Lyn Montez, will you marry me?" He hadn't even finished your first name, and you were already saying, "Yes, yes, yes." The rest of us were so excited, having the chance to watch this unfold in front of us. I do admit having a hard time seeing everything that happened, though. It's hard to see when tears fill your eyes -- my daughter and the man we had prayed for a long time were going to be married!