Thursday, September 19, 2013

Jaxon's Nursery

When Craig and I moved into our house, we knew immediately which room we wanted for a nursery. It wasn't long after we moved that we started trying for a child. This room sat empty for a long time. After a few years we decorated it as a guest room just because it hurt so much seeing an empty room everyday. I'd often go into the room and pray, asking God to fill this room with a child.

And fill it, he did! It's amazing how a little one so quickly fills your house and your heart. It's no surprise that J's nursery is my current favorite room in the house. I love the soft neutrals with pops of color and texture and a rustic feel. Creating J's nursery was so much fun and it's filled with gifts from family which makes it even more special. There are also a lot of DIY projects in the room. My parents, sis and bro-in-law were kind enough to spend an entire Saturday painting, sewing and staining and I love the hand-made touches in the room.

Please excuse my amateur photography skills. I took the photos with my iPhone so the quality isn't the best.  I also have to add a disclaimer that the room does not always look this neat -- I spruced it up before pictures.

Welcome to Jaxon's room




My favorite thing in the room is the wood wall Craig made out of wood from his great-grandparents old house.

I had originally wanted to pay someone for their chalkboard writing skills or try a chalk transfer method with a pretty font but just didn't have the time. Now that little J is reaching up and touching everything with his wet slobbery hands, I'm pretty glad I just hand-wrote the verse. There have been lots of touch-ups.


The crates are filled with special things. A bear that Craig ordered while we were waiting and before we even knew about J. A framed deer onesie that J wore to his sip-n-see. A bear from the Lubbock court house from J's adoption day. It's the bear he "adopted" that day. The Willow Tree figurine is a gift from the hospital in Lubbock where Jax was born. Craig surprised me with it after we got home.


This dresser was Craig's growing up and we sanded and re-painted it years ago. Little secret --  I actually went with turquoise pops of color because I didn't want to buy new knobs for the dresser. If you look closely, you can see a bat signal nightlight in the corner :)


The turquoise frame has prayer cards written by family and friends at our sip-n-see. It also has a cards from J's adoption day. The frame on the left normally has picture of us with J's birth mom but out of respect for her privacy, I slipped in a birth announcement photo.


Just like the wood wall, J's barrel for laundry is also from the Northcutt farm. The sign above the closet doors says "For this child we prayed" and was purchased by my mother-in-law while we were going through fertility treatments. The back has signatures from family and friends that lifted us in prayer over the years of waiting.


This shadow box was mine as a child and is filled with some of the same trinkets. There are some fun new additions, too.

And the sweet boy who has filled this room and our lives with so much joy!



I love when people post where they found their nursery items, so in case you were wondering:

- Paint color: Dormer Brown by Sherwin Williams (It didn't come out well in pics but it's a gray-brown color) My parents had the room painted for us because I'm awful at painting.
- Crib and changer: Jenny Linde purchased from Amazon. A gift from Craig's dad and step-mom
-Rocker: from Gigglebrush designs in McKinney, TX. A gift from Craig's mom and step-dad
-Ottoman: purchased from a consignment shop in Lewisville. Repainted with Annie Sloan pure white chalk paint + dark wax and recovered with new fabric.
- Ottoman fabric and crib bumpers: Balboa ikat print from Ballard Designs
- Turquoise nightstand, deer pillows, wire baskets: purchased in Canton (many from my sweet sis-in-law)
- Lamp + shade and crib sheet: Target
- Diaper pail: Diaper Genie Elite by Playtex. Not fashionable at all but necessary! And does it's job very well.
-Batman nightlight, metal "J" on door and rug: Pottery Barn Kids
-Card board deer head: Red (fun shop in Fredericksburg, Tx)
-Love You More pillow, metal "J" and "N" on the wall are from little shops in downtown Mckinney. I don't remember the names but just go there. It's such as fun place to find treasures.
-Curtain rod: plumber piping from Home Depot
-Dresser: painted with Annie Sloan pure white chalk paint
-Dresser knobs: Anthropologie
-Cute little boy: a beautiful gift from God

2 comments:

lindsey diffendaffer said...

I LOVE THIS. It is so beautiful and the details are so special and meaningful. I pray that Jaxon will be able to fully comprehend just how wanted and loved he is, both by you all and by Christ. You and Craig are such a beautiful example of Christ's love for us. Love you so much!

jen wilkin said...

You have beautiful taste to go with your beautiful adoption story! Honestly, when I see a room like this I wonder why I was even allowed to raise children at all - so cute! And so personal. And the best feature of all is Jaxon himself.